In Polish, the word LODZ means a vehicle propelled by sails, oars or engine, used as a means of water transport. Almost all around the world, it carries symbolic connotations:
it is an allegory of human fate in both individual and collective dimension,
it is associated with courage, when imagining sailors embarking on a voyage across rough oceans,
it symbolizes human longing for adventure and some change in life.
Lódz is also the name of the second largest city in Poland which is an inland city with no access to navigable waters. We hope that the name of our metropolis will become an inspiration for graphic artists, especially those with a flair for satire. The theme should be taken up with humour, with panache and perhaps with a bit of poetry...This explanation, indispensable to foreigners, is also aimed at the Poles, for whom the popular usage of the name of the city might have blurred the sharpness of its paradox.
For the fourth time, the Big Boat of Humour invites all the drawers who would like to face the theme of Lodz, but also – a theme of the city, the technical organization that requires constant reconstruction and renovation. The renovation process often causes frustration among citizens, triggers nostalgic feelings towards the 'old', more ‘friendly" shape of the city but at the same time – gives hope for the ideal city of the future.
City in reconstruction
How does this year's theme influence the imagination of artists? We hope to see the results in the contest's exhibition.
1. The aim of the contest is:
- creating an art gallery comprising works that could be used in actions promoting the city in a printed form or in the form of organized exhibitions.
- promoting the city, changing the traditional perception of Lódz and challenging the stereotypical image of the city.2. It is an open contest. Everyone can participate in it, on condition that they submit their works with the application form before the regulatory deadline. The contest is an international event.
3. The theme of this year's Big Boat of Humour contest is 'City in reconstruction' and also, traditionally – 'Lodz'.
4. The original works entered in the contest can be made using any drawing, graphic (including computer graphics) or painting technique and should not be larger than A3 format (297x420 mm). Accepted by the Jury as original graphic works are the copies of author’s edition described and signed by the author. Photocopies and xerox copies of the works, computer printouts of scanned works or any other kind of duplication using multicopy techniques, for example offset printing, which serve as reproductions of a work, shall not be accepted by the Jury. Previously published works, works entered in other contests or works to which rights do not belong to the authors shall also be excluded from the contest.
5. Each participant may submit up to 5 works. The works should be unframed, provided with the
name and the surname of the author and possibly the title on the reverse. The works should be accompanied with an application form, which shall be tantamount to the acceptation of the contest regulations and a permission for publishing author's personal data contained in the form, and with a CD with the electronic form of submitted works (in TIFF format, the resolution of 300 dpi, 15 cm at the base), which is the condition of placing them in the catalogue.
6. The works should be sent to the address of Lodzki Dom Kultury (Lodz Cultural Centre), ul. Traugutta 18, 90-113 Lodz, Poland till 30 April 2009 (with a note on an envelope "The Big Boat of Humour 2009").
7. The organizers are not liable for any damage to the works during delivery. The works shall be insured since the moment they are received by the organizers, during the exhibition and until their return to the authors.
8. The Jury shall choose works for the post-contest exhibition and hand out the Grand Prix of the contest in May 2009.
9. The ceremonial opening of the post-contest exhibition and the verdict announcement shall take place on May 2009 during th celebrations of the City of Lodz.
10. The authors of works admitted to the contest shall be invited to the ceremonial opening of the exhibition and shall receive the catalogue. The organizers do not provide the return of expenses covering transport to Lodz and stay in the city. The organizers anticipate the exhibition of the original works admitted to the contest in the building of Lodzki Dom Kultury (Lodz Cultural Centre) and the exhibition of printouts (on the basis of the submitted CDs) in Piotrkowska Street in the centre of the city.
11. The works that shall not be admitted to the contest as well as the works shown on the exhibition should be taken back from the organizers or they shall be sent back at the author's expense.
1. The works shall be judged by the Jury of the Contest consisting of professional artists, the representatives of the City of Lodz Office and the Organizers of the contest.
2. The Jury shall hand out the regulatory Grand Prix of the contest amounting to PLN 10,000, funded by the Mayor of the City of Lodz. The prize is indivisible. The Jury reserves the right to resign from handing out the award. In such case, the amount is added to the pool of prizes of the next edition of the contest. The decisions of the Jury are definitive without the right to appeal. The work (or works of one author) honoured with the prize, together with all the rights, become the property of the sponsor.
3. The organizers allow for a possibility of handing out sponsored awards other than the regulatory prize. Works awarded by the sponsors, with all the rights, shall become the property of the sponsors.
1. Sending works to the contest together with a filled in application form equals giving consent to:
- participation in the post-contest exhibition (or a series of exhibitions), unpaid reproducing the works in all media and all techniques as far as promoting the City, the Contest and the exhibition is concerned.
- duplicating the works for the needs of non-commercial promotional actions carried out by the organizers (occasional publications, press materials and the Internet), at the same time, promoting the authors and their works.
- using the works in charity actions, carried out for the citizens in need by the Organizers, Sponsors or the City of Lodz during the period of one year starting from the date of the post-contest exhibition opening.
2. Participation in the contest means the acceptation of the above regulations.